[RC] Jennifer - stifle injury - Dawn Simas

My best gelding Jericho did this injury by getting caught under a board fence when rolling.  He was 18 at the time, but still competing.  This was in 1996 or so.  The vet told me to keep him completely inactive so that the ligament could reattach, which I did for 6 weeks.  Then stall rest for it to really be solid, for another couple months.  He ended up sound with the injury, but the period of not being used allowed arthritis to really take off.  He was diagnosed with bad arthritis in the hocks and fetlocks of the rear legs the following year.  He was retired then, but the vet encouraged me to trail ride lightly to keep it in check.  He he had done another AERC ride or two after the injury, but before the arthritis diagnosis if I recall correctly...

I say ride your horse and see how she feels.  :)

Dawn