[RC] Hoof boots for club foot - Dream Weaver

Chrystal - the problem is really going to be fitting the low heel low angle hoof rather than the club foot. Do you know what the angles are on each foot?

I've been riding Rocky in regular strap on Renegades and they fit very well, stay on at all gaits (he likes to run and has an extremely fast trot), through water crossings and some really steep climbs. Rocky has horrible feet compared to my other horses. Though Rocky's feet are looking really good right now. His bad foot usually has a 49 to 50 degree angle, and the good foot (the club foot, though it's mild) is usually around 50 to 51 and that's about as close as we can get. We really work on keeping his toes short and his toe length is just a hair over 3 inches.

While shod we used wedge pads to even Rocky out though shoeing a horse with this kind of hoof fault didn't do him any favors - he's much better being kept barefoot because maintenance can be kept up with much more frequently. It only takes two or three weeks for him to get uneven with the angles so at least every other week I am checking and keeping things as even as possible with a rasp - it's really easy to do. During most of Rocky's career he had to be shod every three to four weeks. I definitely do not recommend anybody get a horse going in the sport of endurance with this kind of defect. I say that after having done it, and would not again.

Karen
http://www.enduranceridestuff.com