Re: [RC] equithotics (was ground control shoes) - Truman Prevatt

I didn't know these were still around. You are right about farrier training. If the nails are not properly set in the aluminum plate they can work loose in no time.  I tried them for awhile.  The work very well on hard soils, in rocks instead of pads, etc. However, they turned out have very little traction to be very slick in clay mud and even wet grass. Wet plastic on wet ground has very little traction.

Truman

Steph Teeter wrote:
I've been very happy with the Equithotics shoes (Sneakers) - they are a plastic shoe but not flexible, there is a thin aluminum plate sandwiched between two layers of plastic. They're a little thicker than other plastic shoes and require more effort from the farrier (a learning curve and additional time to pre-drill holes and possibly grind the shoes if there isn't a perfect fit. But - they are very shock absorbing, and wear down naturally at the break-over point which I like very much. I can always get 2 settings, sometimes 3 so the $50/pair cost isn't too too bad.

Steph

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan