Re: [RC] Saddles, Pads and weird horses - Elizabeth Walker

You might look into the Equipedic pads.  There was a really impressive demo at the AERC convention this year.  He has changed the foam inserts, and they distribute weight better, don't retain moisture as much, and retain their consistency better in temperature extremes.

The demo used a bare western saddle tree:  put your hand between the saddle pad and a solid wooden saddle rack, under the fork of the tree.  Then he sits on the tree (feet off the floor) ... then he tips the tree up on its fork, while sitting in it (feet on the floor).  Then compare with another brand of pad (with him just pushing down on the tree, rather than sitting in it).  I was pretty impressed - there was quite a bit of difference between the pads.

I bought the Equipedic originally for my old horse, and never had issues with it slipping (bought the new inserts at the convention).  He had medium withers, kind of an A-Frame body, and had a bit of a pocket behind the shoulders.  It seemed to work well for him - the vet thought his back looked like that of a 16 year old, instead of a 25 year old.  Mind you - his saddle did fit well, as it was made to his measurements.