Re: [RC] Yucca in horse feed - illegal? - Truman Prevatt

Title: "Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them
>From AllTech's website

"Respiratory health issues
Even in an ideal stalling situation, ammonia arising from manure due to excess protein in the diet can cause respiratory distress, or ‘barn-soured’ lungs, when breathed by the animal. Extract of the desert Yucca plant has been proven to reduce the ammonia arising from waste and lessen its negative impact on the lungs. This extract can be added to the feed in powder form, as well as sprayed on bedding to reduce ammonia and other noxious gases naturally. Since the Yucca extract can be variable, be sure to choose a supplier who quality controls each batch of the product for its ammonia binding capacity."

Clearly there is not intention on the part of Southern States to introduce any anti-inflammatory  compound in their feed. There is not indication that any of the suggested anti-inflammatory compound alleged to be contained in Yucca is captured in their extraction process. I would be quite if this product would test.

Personally I would like to see the fist fight that could arise if the AERC took actions against a rider because he was using a brand of commercially prepared feed by a reputable feed company. It would not be pretty and I expect the AERC would lose that battle in a heartbeat.

Truman

Elizabeth Walker wrote:

Evidently.

I contacted Mellisa Ribley about it, as I recently switched to Triple Crown.  (Didn't even notice the yucca until it got pointed out.)  According to the answer I got - Yucca is on the prohibited substance list, as it has anti-inflammatory properties, and there is no way to tell how much of it is in the feed in a non-FDA approved feed.  "The recommendation is to use these products/feeds with caution during competition as it is the rider/iowners responsibility as to what is present in the horse during the time of competition."

I haven't contacted Triple Crown yet, though someone else reported that their rep said it "wouldn't test".  The yucca isn't added for its anti-inflammatory action.  It is added because it will bind with ammonia in the large intestine, and be excreted in the manure, rather than in the urine.  From their web site:

----
One of the most common feeding errors is over-feeding protein. A small amount of protein is converted to energy, but much of the excess protein produces high levels of ammonia in the large intestine. Ammonia absorbed into the blood inhibits performance due to increased joint unsoundness, abnormal electrolyte balance, decreased immune response, and poor energy metabolism. The yucca extract binds with the ammonia and passes it out through the feces without allowing absorption into the bloodstream and subsequent release through the urine. A beneficial side effect of reducing urine output of ammonia is air quality improvement. This reduces irritation to the horse's respiratory tract and reduces complications with air passage disorders.
-----

This one just irks me, as I don't like the idea that a drug rule would discourage or prohibit me from buying a horse feed that I thought was the best value / quality / what have you, for my horse.  Gee - maybe we ought to ensure that we only allow our horses grass pasture and water, as that is the closest to a horses "natural potential".  Oats, high-powered grains, fats, electrolytes - all of that enhances our horses competitive ability, too!