[RC] corral surfaces - Lynn White

I've never heard of "squeegee" before but it sounds like some engineered
material that has been seived and washed.  It would probably work if the soil
you are putting it on is drainable.

The thing I would really watch for is nominal aggregate size (the biggest sized
particle) and the degree of fracture faces on your material particles. You
don't want anything bigger than what would pass a #4 sieve. (slightly smaller
than a 1/4-inch size). You want your "course sand" to be uniform in size with
respect to each particle and most importantly, you want what we call rounded
material kind of like what one would see in river gravels.  You do not want
"manufactured" or crushed sand because crushed and rough aggregate faces tend
to lock together and you end up with  a hard packed surface.  The other factor
I'd consider is how "dirty" the material is.  Fine particles tend to enable the
compaction of soils, and if the fines are composed of clayey soils you better
have a good harrow.  And don'f forget the potential of dust from the fines.

What I would do is drive around and visit some concrete suppliers and start
looking at their stockpiles.  Pick up some with your hands and really look at
the stuff.  These guys might just cut you a deal with their "natural" piles
being that they are getting hungry in this economy. Stay away from asphalt mix
suppliers as they crush everything and their waste piles are questionable with
regards to aggregate quality. If you live in an area that has lots of river
gravels you might find an asphalt supplier with "primary reject" piles of
uncrushed pebbles.  But I only know of a couple areas in the US that has places
like this.

When you look at this stuff, see if you can make a cast of it in your hands.
If you can, find another pile.  Ask if the material has been "washed."  Imagine
your horse trotting or cantering on it and you landing on it!

Probably way more than you want to know, but I design roads for a living so
this is my baliwicke.

Lynn

"Our enemies should know: we will never apologize for being free men."

-Geert Wilders