Re: [RC] 7 times? - Dawn Carrie

< I like more vet checks with shorter holds giving the horse more chances to eat short periods rather than longer vet checks but fewer of them.>
?
?
See, I'm just the opposite.? I?dislike having lots of vet checks, and thus lots of short little loops.? I prefer fewer, longer vet checks, and thus fewer, longer loops.? Once I'm out on the trail, I want to get some miles done.? Little 15-20 min. vet checks are too short to get much done.? By the time one vets through and?the horse starts eating, it's time to go back out (assuming one doesn't stay late, which I often do).? But the biggest issue I have with having lots of vet checks is that it chops the ride up into lots of short loops.

?

Dawn Carrie, Texas

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 1:27 PM, rides2far@xxxxxxxx <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
?Truman said:

> However, with the trend in 100's that "all checks are in camp"
> I really have little interest in leaving camp 7 times.

Kat said: How many vet checks do most 100's have? ?I have never been >>>to one that had six. ?The ones that I managed had only four.

I've done several where there were 7 counting the completion exam, that would be leaving only 6 times. I like more vet checks with shorter holds giving the horse more chances to eat short periods rather than longer vet checks but fewer of them.

Maybe leaving camp is a bigger problem for *riders* than horses. My horses haven't given a rip whether we're far from camp or at the trailer.

I would think a Chicken S*** 100 miler who made a habit of de-elevated into LD's to WIN might train themself to quit early and have more trouble leaving the trailer. >eg<

Angie McGhee