[RC] Different Sports - Leonard - FXLivestock

Leonard,
    You are right that much of the discussion comes after an UAE event.  But can you deny the influence the UAE (money) has had in the International High Profile events (even in Europe) and in FEI.  I don't remember the idea of a finish being called after the front runners come in (Grand Prix finish?)  ever being seriously considered before UAE involvement in FEI endurance.  Wasn't this used at a European race last year?

Below is something that was on ridecamp that was written by a French rider I know.  She explains the French program.  The philosophy I see in this description is very different from the AERC philosophy.  I am not judging this as better or worsese....just different.  There are a lot of things I really like about the way the French program is implimented.  There is no question that the UAE is extreme but it is also hard to deny that many National programs are geared or based on FEI style riding where "winning" is the most important and where FEI hierarchy has had much UAE influence over the last decade.

I usually look to how an organization honors their participants/horses with award programs and recognition programs.  Are there any programs in Europe that would be similar to our mileage program, National Mileage award, Decade award recognition, or Partners award where a "partnership" with horse/rider is recognized at the National Level?  There are a lot of things I do not like about AERC but their award and recognition programs do recognize both longevity and placing (winning) in both regional and national standings.  Lifetime achievement awards are strictly based on longevity.  I think this reflect the values that AERC members feel are important in their version of endurance.

   Kim

Information from France:

I am a French endurance rider and I am living in California since summer 2002. I just want to share some input about the French way to compete.

The philosophy: It is a race and not a ride.

It is fast. It must be as secure as possible for the rider and the horse. The crew is a key point; you can meet your crew on the trail approximately every 8 miles, so you can cool off your horse. Because it is fast, you spend less time on your horse and we have a lot of juniors enjoying endurance competition.

It is a long process of improvement according to the FEI requirements.

You can't enter a 50 miles race just because you want it; you have a process to respect (see the tables below).

You will notice that each horse needs to be identified (horses without papers and without a microchip are not allowed to compete). Moreover, the rider must show the proof of the entire yearly flue' vaccinations (passport).

The French rules just respect the FEI rules.

National - Regional races

o Distance 20 km (18 to 22 km) or 30 km (27 to 33)- one loop
o mandatory speed 10 to 12 km/h
o Start process Alone or small group.
o minimum age for the rider 12 years old  (or younger  if accompanied by an adult)
o License Club
o Qualification for the rider none
o minimum age for the horse 4 years in the current year
o Qualification for the horse none
o Papers - Identification for the horse. mandatory
o Vaccination mandatory Flue
o P&R initial 64 maxi/ minute
o P&R final 60 maxi/ minute
o Control final At 30 min
o Mode of final ranking [(vitesse x 2)-(vitesse mini)] x 100 / P&R finale
o qualification for higher competition. 40 kms
o duration of the qualification No limit

o Distance 40 km (35 to 45 km) - 2 loops
o mandatory speed 12 to 15 km/h
o start process Alone or small group
o minimum age for the rider 12 years old  (or younger  if accompanied by an adult)
o License Amateur 4
o Qualification for the rider 20 or 30 kms
o minimum age for the horse 4 years old in the current year
o Qualification for the horse 20 or 30 kms
o Papers - Identification for the horse. mandatory
o mandatory vaccination Flue
o P&R  initial 64 maxi/ minute
o P&R  intermediate 60 maxi/ minute
o P&R finale 60 maxi/ minute
o Mode of intermediate control chrono stopped
Vet check within 30 min.
o Intermediate rest 1 hour
o Final control At 30 min
o Mode of final ranking [(vitesse x 2)-(vitesse mini)] x 100 / P&R finale
o qualification for higher competition. 60 kms
o duration of the qualification No limit

o Distance 60 km (55 à 65 km) en deux ou trois étapes
o mandatory speed 12 to 15 km/h
o start process Alone or small group
o minimum age for the rider 12 years old  (or younger  if accompanied by an adult)
o License Amateur 4
o Qualification for the rider 40 kms
o minimum age for the horse 5 years old in the current year
o Qualification for the horse 40 kms
o Papers - Identification for the horse. mandatory
o mandatory vaccination Flue
o P&R  initial 64 maxi/ minute
o P&R  intermediate 60 maxi/ minute
o P&R finale 60 maxi/ minute
o Mode of intermediate control chrono stopped
Vet check within 30 min.
o Intermediate rest 1 hour
o Final control At 30 min
o Mode of final ranking [(vitesse x 2)-(vitesse mini)] x 100 / P&R finale
o Qualification for higher competition National 1 star (90 kms)
o duration of the qualification No limit

Distance 90 km (85 to 100 km) CEN *
o mandatory speed Free with a minimum of 12 km/h
o Calculation of the speed From the start to the entry at each vet gate and on the finish line.
o start process One group
o minimum age for the rider. 14 years during the year.
o License mandatory Amateur 3
o Qualification for the rider 60 kms
o minimum age for the horse 5 years old during the year
o Qualification for the horse Qualified once in 60 kms
o Papers - Identification for the horse. mandatory
o Vaccination mandatory Flue
o P&R initial 64 maxi/ minute
o P&R intermediate 56 maxi/ minute
o P&R final 56 maxi/ minute
o Intermediate control process Vet-gate check within 30 min.
2 passages maxi
o Rest time intermediate 1er vet-gate: 40 min
2èm vet-gate: 50 min (réexamen mandatory)
o final control At 30 min
o Mode of final ranking Au chrono
o Qualification for higher competition 2 qualifications in order to compete in  2*
o Validity of the qualification The year + 2 years

o Distance 125 to  135 km - CEN **
o mandatory speed Free with a minimum of 12 km/h
o Calculation of the speed From the start to the entry at each vet gate and on the finish line.
o start process One group
o Minimum age for the rider. 14 years during the year.
o Minimum weight for the rider 70kg with tack without the bridle
o License Amateur 3
o Qualification for the rider 2 qualifications in CEN *
o minimum age for the horse 6 years old in the year
o Qualification for the horse 2 qualifications in CEN *
o Papers - Identification for the horse. mandatory
o mandatory vaccination Flue
o P&R  initial 64 maxi/ minute
o Intermediate P&R 64 maxi/ minute
o P&R  final 64 maxi/ minute
o Intermediate control process Vet-gate control check within 20 min.
2 passages maxi
o Intermediate rest time See  program
o Final control Within 20 min
o Final ranking chrono
o Qualification for higher competition 1 qualification for  3*
o Validity of the qualification The current year + 2 years

International

Distance 115 km (110 à 119 km) - CEI ** - same as CEN **

o Distance 140 to  160 km or  2 x 100 km - CEI ***
o Mandatory speed Libre avec un minimim de 12 km/h
o Speed calculation From the start to the entry at each vet check and on the finish lign.
o Start process En un seul groupe
o Minimum age for the rider 14 years in the year
o Minimum weight for the rider 75kg with tack
o License Amateur 3
o Qualification for the rider 1 qualification in 2**
o minimum age for the horse 7 years old in the year
o Qualification for the horse 1 qualification in 2**
o Papers - Identification for the horse. mandatory
o mandatory vaccination Flue
o P&R  initial 64 maxi/ minute
o Intermediate P&R 64 maxi/ minute
o Finale P&R 64 maxi/ minute
o Intermediate control process Vet-gate check within 30 min.
2 passages maxi
o Intermediate rest time See program
o Final control Within 30 min
o Final ranking chrono
o Validity of the qualification Current year + 2 years

A lot of opportunity to compete…

As an example, for France, in 2005, we have had 33 races ** and *** organized. So it is easy and less expensive to compete: we don't have to travel too long to get to a race which helps to have a crew.

The organization

The FFE (French Equestrian Federation) follow the rules of the FEI and gives subvention to each and every equestrian discipline including endurance. Each region has his own committee which works under the FFE.

The French Coach and Vet etc…don't have to work in an other job, they spend most of their time, assessing horses and riders, training the squad and learning about performance etc…

The fact that just horses with papers are allowed to compete helps breeders. Moreover there is a specific program for young horses helped by the "haras nationaux" (who protect the French horse breeding program).

I am not really willing to see US riders to awake … (just kidding) but you deserve to be back at the top because of your courage, consistency and focus.

Warm regards.

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. Go to AOL Music.