RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Pres. Cup for Jnrs & Yr /AERc & FEI - Dawn Carrie - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

And also keep in mind that there are drugs that exert a systemic effect long after the drug itself is gone---ie, the synthetic erythropoietin that stimulates bone marrow to increase the production of red blood cells and thus markedly increase oxygen transport to muscle cells.  The bone marrow remains stimulated after the Epogen itself is past a measurable level---something the toxicology labs are working on, but it’s a tough nut.  The same Epogen protocol increases performance in human athletes, great stuff except for that pesky potential side effect of the occasional stroke, heart attack and sudden death.  Horses have their own physiologic adaptations for maximizing red blood cell content safely, but manipulating it artificially does exert an effect on performance, if a very dangerous one.  But if your only goal is winning, the occasional dead horse shouldn’t be too much of a hindrance.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of FXLivestock@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:13 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Pres. Cup for Jnrs & Yr /AERc & FEI - Dawn Carrie

I don't know about drug testing two weeks prior, but what about drug testing every horse that *completes* the ride?  <G>

Dawn Carrie, Texas

I wish there was a way to do random drug testing during the training/conditioning period  I am much more interested in what they are using during the training phase.  Many of the drugs that enhance performance do so during the training/recovery  period so an athlete can train harder, recover faster, get back to training harder/further/faster and again recover faster from work outs.  This definitely would lead to a fitter and faster horse for competition that would never test positive at the event I think one of the hardest things when one is really trying to get fit for an event is to be able to train hard enough and allow enough recovery to get back to training without getting injured and or fatigued.

Of course this would be impossible in our sport but I would be curious :)

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. Go to AOL Music.