Re: [RC] Ride Manager Keeps Money - Lauren Horn

Lynne,

I could have asked this question and not named the individual but I specifically choose to mention Matt by name for a reason. I put a lot of thought into this "public" outing and I'm not one to do this sort of thing, but based on the facts I think bringing it to the public may be the only way to solve this. Matt has had numerous opportunities to respond, not only to me, but to other people by phone or email. The issue is NOT if the refunds were valid as Matt told both Cindy and I that refund checks would be issued. The issue is non payment after being told he would mail the checks and non response to any attempts to reach Matt.

This is not "trial by RideCamp", but a genuine, calm discussion about how to proceed and also to see if others did not get promised refunds. Looks like there is more of us out there. Lynne, your the only "negative" responder to my email but I've gotten numerous private emails with Matt stories. Being a past ride manager I'm sure you are sensitive to these issues but learning what I now know, I wouldn't be so fast to jump on the wagon and support Matt.

I agree with you that pre paying does help out hard working ride managers that may need some up front seed money. What I wish I had known is that Matt had the reputation of not paying entries and other money issues and the many people who knew his reputation paid at the ride instead of mailing in the money. It's us trusting folks from another region, who had no knowledge of his reputation that sent in the money.

There is this one ride manager from NATRC who never refunded a friends entry. For two years she was promised a check. She finally had to go to the president of NATRC and put pressure, but why should she have to do that? So now, I don't up front pay when I enter that managers ride. I'm glad I know what I know and I just play it safe. With Matt, it would have been nice to know too. Five Hundred dollars nicer for Cindy. That's a lot of nice.

Lauren