[RC] old horses - Sharon

Hi,

All this talk of euthanizing horses has prompted me to write.

Our final act:

Last year I wrote about a blind 40 yr old gelding that shared his pasture
with my

new, much younger Peruvian mare.

He would nudge her and she would lead him to a hay pile,

returning to her own. They were inseparable in their pasture.

Last week he galloped the fence line while she was having her shoes done,

then within two days started looking poorly and began walking in circles,

and staggering.

He was euthanized, with his mare and the rest of the herd of 5 watching.

Not one whinny or nicker was heard . I brought her over closer when he was
dead,

hoping to avoid the manic screaming when she went back to the barn.

She looked and sniffed and put her head down and started eating.

She did call a few times over the next two days and seems to have

forgotten him now.

It will take a lot longer for me to stop looking out in the field to check
on him.

He was gifted to me in a will, I have had him since the 80's and

the memories he gave me are priceless.

He is now buried on our farm in his favorite pasture, at the top of a hill.

The vet cost was $168, backhoe, kind neighbour, was free.

RIP Charlie Brown 1967-2008

Sharon