[RC] old horses - Sharon

From: Sharon

Date: 12/18/2008 9:39:20 PM

To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Fw: old horses

-------Original Message-------

From: Sharon

Date: 12/18/2008 9:31:45 PM

To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: old horses

Hi,

The recent talk of horse disposal has prompted me to write this:

The last act of kindness.

Just last year I wrote about an 40 yr old gelding that I had been "gifted"
in a will.

He shared his life with me for over 20 years and was a companion

to my high spirited Peruvian mare.

As he was 90% blind, he relied on her to lead him to the hay piles.

A week ago he was galloping and screaming for her whilst she was on the
driveway for

farrier work.

The following day he stopped eating and was walking in staggering circles.

We were able to lead him to his pasture, accompained by the mare and

end his suffering.

The rest of the herd watched in silence.

He is buried on our property, at the top of a hill.

The mare sniffed his body and then walked away.

It took her only a couple of days to quit calling, but will take me a longer
time to

stop looking for him when I check the pastures.

The total cost here in B.C. was $168.

That is cheap compared the the priceless hours of pleasure he gave me.

RIP Charlie Brown, age 41

Lacey