Re: [RC] ulcers in endurance horses - Teresa Williams

Nancy,
I have a full arab, 11Yo gelding, with ulcers. He's a cribber and bit arab-whacky! First, I recommend that you have your horse scoped. That's the only way you will get a confirmed diagnosis. After my guy was scoped, the vets at AU Vet School put him on an 8 week regimen of Omeprazole. His symptoms almost completely disappeared over the 8 weeks. I have chosen to keep him on a maintenence dose of the omeprazole to keep the ulcers from recurring. The med is expensive, but it works. Prior to the scoping and treatment, he suffered periodic gas colics that varied in severity from mild to severe. Since the treatment and the daily med, he has been gas colic free for 2 years! If you can swing it, save up the funds and have the scope! It is reassuring to know what you are dealing with and ulcers are manageable with the help of an attentive vet.

T. Williams

From: Nancy Reed <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: endurance open <theenduranceopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:17:45 AM
Subject: [RC] ulcers in endurance horses

I have a strong suspicion my half Arab, Jazzi has ulcers.  No I have not had her scoped (would rather buy hay with the money).  She has many of the symptoms – paces, crews wood, is a nervous Nelly, etc.   I have been feeding her 7/24, added a vit/mineral supplement and her symptoms have been greatly reduced.  I am wondering what other folks are doing for horses who have ulcers – what works and what doesn’t?

I crewed at the 100 mile National Championship several years ago when it was held at Warner Springs .  One of my jobs was to dose the horse w/ Neighlox and e-lytes.  I am not sure that is the road I want to take.  In a perfect world I would find a supplement that would cure her suspected ulcers, preserve her joints, give her a shiny coat, etc. OK, I’m rambling, any ideas?

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest