[RC] - ladurgin

  I live in the SE mud too. Over the years here is what I  have learned. If my horses have long hair and we get warm days, my horses roll  in the mud.
   When I first had my horses and  groomed them daily , they didn't roll in the mud. When I got more horses and less time and didn't groom daily they started rolling.
   Two of the horses  were sometimes clipped in the winter (showing,  or riding alot). When clipped , they almost never rolled in the mud.(whether it was because they were groomed more  or  my feeling is , it was too cold  to roll with no hair! I support this with my mare , who doesn't seem able to grow hardly any coat, but a 1/2" fuzz. She doesn't like to roll when it is muddy and cold.
  However when we stopped clipping 'said' horses, they grow long woolys, they roll whenever it gets warm, and I think they get itchy and sweaty , so they are self grooming. They also roll right after I take their blankets off,if it has warmed up quick, UNLESS I groom them.
   So If I am into serious riding in winter I  trace clip --- but then I am willing to  sheet and blanket  by the temperature.
     Also is it is going to rain, then temperature drop , I leave rain sheets on, so I don't have  to  groom 5 animals just to put their blankets on..
     And I do have to groom, as mine will get fungus sometimes. I have foun that  sprinkling   "Dollar General" "Gold Bond" wannna be powder (like 1.00 or 2) on their coat helps prevent fungus when it rains for days (and flys don't like it too!)
    Those rubbery new funny shaped currys , thatare molded to fit  your fingers, are much more appreciated by my tb and  arabs.You can't use metal on them or they leave...But they will stand all day for the flexible rubbery ones.