From: SHEILA A WALSH <tondi313@xxxxxxx>
To: richardson.carla@xxxxxxxxx; totaleclipse2007@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:49:13 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] First Pony

My first (and only) pony was Chico, a two year old Shetland.  I got him for my 9th birthday and he kicked me, when I went into the corral to meet him.  I had to break him, starting with a halter.  I used to drag him to the far end of the arena of the ranch where my parents rented a house and hop on him.  He would crow hop the whole way to the gate and I would fall off somewhere along the way.  I would do that for an hour or so and then I would get tired and go ask the resident cowboys to help me.  They wouldn't.  They laughed and laughed.

I finally got big enough to muscle the pony and we became a racing team.  We would run all over the ranch and I would pretend I was Will James.

*sigh*  I wish my kids had that life.

As Winston Churchill said, "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle."  As Shakespear wrote in Henry V, "When I bestride him, I soar, I am like a hawk; he trots the air, the Earth sings, when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical that the pipe of Hermes."