RE: [RC] There ARE kid-safe GramMa horses out there for under $1000 - Andrea Day

I'm wondering where a lot of you have been lately--maybe not living in the same economy I'm living in. People are GIVING horses away here. Not just junk, unbroke, or old lame clunkers, either. With hay the price it is, there are a lot of people who are in a bind financially. They're getting rid of their old horses--either through euthing them or through the sale. There's six horses free or under $500 on the board at the vets, and my vet told me that two of them are VERY nice horses. He had actually taken two others home earlier--one for his granddaughter, the other to replace one of his old horses. If you don't mind an older horse over 16 or so, you can pick up a good'un very cheap now. That's the best kind for a kid anyway--one that's been around the block and seen it all. No reason why a sound, healthy older horse can't do endurance with a lightweight.

It's a sad state of affairs, I'm afraid. I've found three horses dead in the desert-shot--and for a week or two had a loose one here I was thinking had been abandoned. He fortunately hadn't, but the sheriff told me that several have been picked up and turned into the humane society. This is happening in the Owyhees, also.

I just picked up a mature, unbroke Crabbet-bred stallion for the price of gelding him. WITH papers. He's a nice pony, however, I could have had one just as nice, a broke gelding, again with papers, had I waited another two weeks. Oh well, he's gelded, had his teeth done, and is happily eating his head off.

Check Craigslist or other ads. There's a lot of horses that are either running way high or under $1000 now.

The folks that are looking for a kid's horse under $1000 should just hang in there. One will come along.

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail® account.