From: Chrystal Woodhouse <Chrystal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] Ticks????Help!!
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 10:15 PM

O.k. so just found out that although YES Florida has lots of sun..................they also have lots of  ticks!!! I just got to Florida from Canada two weeks ago and this is the first time in my life I have ever seen a tick let alone know how to deal with them.( SO be gentle :-))))))) One of my Arabs was covered in bumps yesterday we washed him with dishsoap ( supposed to kill ticks??) and Dettol ( mild antiseptic) gave him some antihistamines and covered him in fly spray after he dried, did the same thing today, he is looking better.,
My other mare  was suffering from them as well though was not nearly so bad.
SO............is there a better way to deal with them? I am off to some tack stores tomorrow to see what they have for tick repellent, is there anything available like the dog one that you just put on once a month??? Also. do I need to call a vet if the horse's have been bitten?? How do I know if they have Lyme disease?

THANKS!!!
Every day  is a learning experience!!!!

Chrystal :-)

P.S Can I I still use the horse's grooming brushes or do I have to wash them after their tick experience????  ( Yep.total newbie at this:-) :-)))))))))) Stop laughing!!!!!!!