Re: [RC] There ARE kid-safe GramMa horses out there for under $1000 - Diane Trefethen

I am well aware of the plethora of horses available for cheap or for free but the situation I described has been in existence a long time, well before the economy went in the toilet. PLUS - my point wasn't that people won't spend money for TRAINING. It was that they do not seem to know the value of a horse who is a true Care Taker, not just trained to be bomb-proof, an oxymoron when applied to horses if ever there was one. You don't train for Care Taker. A horse either is or isn't. Most, probably 90+%, aren't. Here are some examples:

Your teenage daughter and her cute girlfriend are going riding. Older brother, who knows NOTHING about horses, wants to come too (duh). So the 3 of them mount up, with bro on YOUR 8 year old Arabian Endurance gelding and head out. They reach the trails and the girls decide to teach big bro a lesson and suddenly gallop off out of sight. They stop and wait... and wait... and wait... and finally bro on Arab come into sight, reins all over the place. The Arab is walking. Tell me how you "train" for this.

Your daughter has a friend who can't ride but who would "love to go riding" so they do. Your best friend phones you to say she saw your daughter and friend on the horses in town and at first thought your horse was sick. It was wobbling all over the place. Then she saw that the horse was sidling around trying to STAY UNDER THE GIRL so she wouldn't fall off. Which "training" lesson is that?

Then there is the grandchild you have just started teaching to ride. You two are about 2 miles from home when without saying anything, the kid pushes her horse into a fast trot. You see it too late and know if you give chase it could be a disaster so you just keep walking. 10 minutes later (an eternity) you find them stopped waiting for you. "I just wanted to ride alone in the forest" is her explanation. Train to NOT take off when heading home and ASKED to move out? Right!