[RC] "Race brain" -- using TTEAM to help - Naomi Preston

This is quite an interesting discussion, and I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.  I've found the TTEAM Method (developed by Linda Tellington-Jones) to be very effective when working with nervous, excited or fearful horses.  Twenty years ago, when I first became a TTEAM Practitioner, I worked for several Thoroughbred horse trainers at Les Bois Race Track in Boise, Id.  If you think Arabian endurance horse athletes can be hyper, go to the backside of the track and in a few stalls.  These horses have virtually NO turnout, are fed a high grain diet, and when they do get out of their stalls, go Mach 10 on the track.  Some would be so nervous that they would "washout" when being ponied to the track -- sweating profusely and then put in a lackluster performance. Working with these horses was the ultimate test of the usefulness of TTEAM, and I had my doubts when I started working there.  I remember working with one mare that just stood there and shook when I entered her stall.  Talk about nervous!  I could barely touch her.  But after several days with her, I was able to get her to relax, put her head down and breathe.  A couple weeks later this mare won her race, and I hurried to the backside to congratulate the owners & trainer.  The mare was at the test barn,  jumping out of her skin, adrenaline flowing to the max from just winning a race!  The trainer was unable to calm the horse, and I offered to help.  With just a few touches of her muzzle and mouth (which she was accustomed to) she began to calm down and lower her head.  Everyone there was amazed......including myself.

And these same techniques can help nervous & excitable endurance mounts (Arabs, mustangs, morgans,  etc., even mules).  The key is getting them to become familiar with the techniques at home, when they're not excited.  Then in a tense situation, when the techniques are applied, the horse's response is almost automatic.

I helped Becky Hart and Rio at the '92 Race of Champions with TTEAM.  Rio had won the race, but his pulse wasn't coming down and he was about to get pulled.  Becky called me over to help, and I did lesss than a minute's worth of Ttouches on Rio.  His pulse came down, and he won the race.  Do I think TTEAM can help nervous horses pulse down at vet checks?  Absolutely.  But it requires doing your homework;  practicing the techniques.

Last year my husband, Lee rode in the AERC NC with his Arab gelding, Fire Mt. Malabar.  It may not have been a WEC, but darn exciting and very competitive.  Riding were John Crandell, Cheryl Dell, Christoph Shork, and many other great, experienced riders.  There was a lot of electricity in the air!  So it didn't surprise me that my normally cool, calm husband was pretty amped at the first vet check.  Malabar, whose pulse normally drops like a rock, wasn't dropping.  I motioned to Lee to do  some TTEAM on his head & muzzle, and just like a charm, Malabar lowered his head and his pulse plummeted.

In addition to the TTEAM TTouches, Linda Tellington-Jones has developed training and riding techniques which can help calm the nervous horse.  I've tried them, used them in training and competition, and they work.

Linda's written many books, all available on Amazon.  There are TTEAM Practitioners all over the U.S. (internationally, also.) who give clinics and private lessons.

I just wanted to throw TTEAM in as a possible solution to some of the "race brain" issues.

Naomi Preston