[RC] ear plugs and blinkers - Lynn White

I've read all the banter about the behaviour of the horses at the WEC.  I
wasn't there so I really have no comment on the whys and hows. Being that I am
someone who almost pukes before EVERY race that I start, more power to anyone
who wants to start in the big races.

I was listening to the music on the live stream:  IT WAS THE MUSIC THAT DROVE
THE HORSES CRAZY!!

I helped out at a mounted shooting event a couple years ago.  Many of the
riders use ear plugs (AKA "pom-poms").  Wonder if something like this would
help sensitive horses with lots of noise during vet checks.  Also, what about
putting blinkers on horses when they come into a hold?  Seems like this would
help out with all the goings on and noise at a big event.  Who knows? A little
sensory deprivation might get the horse more focused on eating and drinking.

Just because we never see such things doesn't mean that it might not work here
or there.  Pom-poms are quite inexpensive!

Hope everyone with the food poisoning is well and no permanent damage was
caused. It takes months to heal from a bad bout of food poisoning.  In my case
it took years.  My friend went to Turkmenistan and ate nothing but canned food
and power bars washed down with bottled water.  She was the only one in her
party that didn't end up hurling.  We are just not used to the bugs over there
no matter how clean they are.

Lynn