Re: [RC] jvm are you serious? - FXLivestock

In a message dated 11/10/2008 11:40:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, bwalker2@xxxxxxx writes:
Just a totally unsubstantiated opinion here, but I think most folks have to balance the strengths and weaknesses of their particular horse.  Not everyone has the resources to raise, train and/or buy many, many horses and pick out the stellar ones who have the ability to stay calm and focused, yet still have the fire, drive and heart to go 100 miles at a rapid pace, and the physical ability to do so and stay sound.  Just my opinion, but I think that in the balance, top competitors are willing to put up with "temperament" if the horse can perform at the desired level in spite of it.  "Temperament" can be managed.  Lack of physical ability to perform at the needed level cannot.
Great post!!  I agree 100%.  I would love to see the discussion go more in the direction of management and coping with horses like this.  If the US team performance at the WEC is too sensitive an issue to discuss, let's bring it down to a more general level.   It is a great topic to discuss in general terms as I don't know too many people who own the perfect competitor regardless of how much training or conditioning is invested.

One of my all time favorite articles on endurance riding was written years ago by Julie Suhr and is still on the Tevis web site.  It is called  "You, Your Horse, and Lady Luck".  Periodically, I reread this particular article because it covers what we do on so many different levels.  If you haven't read this take the time to do so.  It is a great perspective whether you consider yourself a beginner or have been in the sport for years.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648