From: Pam Salem <psalem@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] A horse worth having
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 4:53 PM

I once had a fierce herd mare, 1200+ lbs.  She ate first and was unchallenged. I got a young quarter horse called Thumper for my son to ride after his
first pony. I guarded Thumper at the pasture each day until he finished his grain.  He was a quiet horse and observant.

About the sixth day, as I dumped the feed into pans lined up along the fenceline, Thumper strode across and decked and bit the herd mare and proceeded to eat her grain.  She calmly moved to the next pan, and things went on peacefully ever after.  He had watched, noted that he only had to displace her, and did not mess with moving up the pecking order.  I have never forgotten that moment of utter astonishment and humor.  Pam
Pam Salem - East TN
www.horizonfarmsporthorses.com