[RC] buying hay--a cautionary tale - desertrydr1

I'd like to get some opinions, because maybe I am too close to the situation.  What would you think if you called someone about hay, and told them you needed 10 ton.  Even discussed how much would fit on their trailer, and they said 5 ton, so they would need to bring 2 trailer loads.  They told you it would be about $270.-$275. a ton delivered, and you said okay, bring me 10 ton of your hay.  Then they said it would be $13. a bale, and they were bringing you 200 bales.  Would you think, like I did, that the bales weighed about 100 lbs.?  Because after all, I was very specific about needing 10 ton of hay.

Then when it got delivered, it looked like really nice hay, and they were kind of in a hurry to get going, so you paid them cash ($2600.) and they took off.  Then when you (a 56 yr old woman who weighs 145 lbs) picked up a bale it seemed really light.  So you took some and wieghed 3 random bales, purposely not weighing the first small bale you picked up, but trying to find some that looked like they were among the bigger bales.  And finding out that the bales weighed between 70, 75 and 85 lbs.  The guy said he weighed some bails and they averaged 90 lbs.  Which is still a 22 bale ton.

Would you feel ripped off?  Since you specifically asked for 10 ton, not a certain number of bales?  At $13. a bale, with an average weight of (generously) 80 lbs, that works out to $325 a ton. which is $50 more a ton than the guy originally quoted.  I called him and he told me I could come out and pick up 20 more bales for free.  I figure he owes me 50 bales.  I don't know how to get a satisfactory resolution, in part because I've already lost my temper with the guy.  The last thing he said before hanging up on me was either come get 20 bales or shut up.  I have nothing to haul with.

My son generously offered to burn down the guy's house.  I strongly discouraged such an illegal act, but the thought did occur to me that sometimes hay spontaneously combusts.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Of course I paid cash and didn't get a receipt.  This is the first time I have had such a bad experience buying hay, and the other farmers I have bought from over the years have been totally honest about the hay weight.

jeri