[RC] 100 Incentives - Marinera

I have to agree with Kim Fuess, Tom Sites, and  a few others that have contributed to the recent discussion of hundred milers.   Just do it.   It does not take a super horse with a super rider to complete a hundred miler. The average horse and the average rider can do it very nicely.  If mileage credit is the only reason you ride endurance, you really have not experienced  the joy of the trail. I like my miles.  Make no mistake. If they stopped giving them tomorrow, however, I would still be riding,  If you fail to complete a ride it does not mean you will not go on to future successes. You tried and somehow that seems more important. If you expect a return for every dollar you spend in this sport, you are going to be very disappointed.  If you expect to experience every emotion from sheer joy to abject failure, you have found your niche.  Put your horse first and yourself second and you should have no problem.

For incentive,  I know a man who completed his first endurance ride ever at age 72.  The Tevis.  At age 76 he did his second and last endurance ride of his life.  The Tevis. He lived in Alaska and he did not have a mentor. But he did have a lot of common sense and a dream. It was a great combination.  Julie

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!