[RC] hay/feed topic - Kathie Ford

My horses too are free fed, althought the teff hay this winter does not appear to have the calories needed to keep weight on a few.  So we add alfalfa/grass and meadow to the mix.  They have hay in front of them 24/7. It does get expensive now as the prices are outrageous.  But have to feed them.

I've used the teff for a year now and have discovered it is a better summer feed in my opinion.  Keeps their weight where it should be. But for winter, and when horses need to be warmer other hay must be implemented.

Mine get a mash as well on an as needed basis (more for the ones working, less for the ones not) Nice and warm on colder days and lots of carrots!!  I love listening to them slurping up their mash! Such enthusiasm!!!! Yummmm :)

Vitamines and a LMF or Ultium w/some molassas free (not added) beet pulp as well.  Flax seed in there too although I feed it non-grinded.  Each horse has their specific needs so adjustments are made accordingly.

Since I don't have grass pasture I do have a wonderful neighbor who loves my horses to come down and hang out at his pasture. Many acres of grass and they just enjoy so much!  Seems to be a good balance hoof health wise too as their feet don't get soft in the winter due to soggy ground (dry lot) and yet they can graze on grass too.

Anyway, bottom line they are healthy.

Fun to share

cheers,

kathie