[RC] how much hay do you feed? - oddfarm

I buy my hay by the truckload and it comes from Ohio. I am paying $10 per bale, even at a truckload discount. In the local feed store it is going for $15-18 per bale and it is a crappy T&A. I get a beautiful orchard/alfalfa with each bale weighing about 55-70 lbs.

I have 9 horses and no pasture to speak of. Just dirt. I throw out 6-7 bales a day, (yeah, I don't want to do the math ;( more on colder nights.(no need for blankets, they always stay warm) My oldest, who is 23 gets Ultium to keep on weight and whatever horse I am riding gets Ultium at rides. Other than that, hay is all I feed. It's expensive, but they all look great. A couple of them may even be on the chunky side :) I've been feeding an all hay diet for about 12 or so years now.

Can't wait to get out of Florida (that alone will save us a ton of money) where we can have acreage and the horses can graze on REAL grass!

Lisa Salas,
THe odd faRm