RE: [RC] Club foot - Kristen A Fisher

Here’s an article from Kerry Ridgeway on Hi/Low that was updated in Feb 06 if anyone is interested:

http://www.thefarrierbox.co.uk/articles/Introduction%20Kerry%20Rigeway%20up-date.pdf

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karen Standefer
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:40 AM
To: 'Barbara McCrary'; 'RIDECAMP'
Subject: RE: [RC] Club foot

From Stephen O’Grady:  An upright conformation of the foot associated with a flexural deformity of the distal interphalgeal joint.  The dorsal hoof wall angle is steep accompanied by a broken-forward hoof/pastern axis.  The distance between the heels is normal (not contracted).

Here is a description of Flexural Deformity in foals which is thought to be the origin of many club feet:  http://www.equipodiatry.com/flxdefrm.htm

Here’s Dr. Redden’s diagrams and explanations for the different classifications of club feet (pretty much universally acknowledged).  http://www.nanric.com/Howtotreatclubfeet.asp

Hi/Lo syndrome is not the same, although typically people will call the more upright foot a club foot.  The trick is in the pastern/hoof axis which can be more accurately assessed via x-ray.  On a normal hi hoof (vs a club foot), the pastern axis will not be subluxated.  ON a club foot, it will appear broken forward externally as well as on the x-ray.  Usually with Hi/Lo syndrome, the low foot is the problem foot because it will have a broken BACK pastern axis which is associated with navicular syndrome, contracted heels and underrun heels.