[RC] Club foot and foot growth - ladurgin

  There is alot of  research and observation going on  right now--mainly due to the "Barefoot movement"-- (Don't  start flaming , this is not ot start a war, rather to inject some thought).
   After 10 years with the same 3-4 horses and having them under daily obsevation and during some research and now my own trimming-- and having some interesting feet to do it on.
    The current observations seem to lead the; just in it's infancy, Barefoot proponets and researchers to  note that ," the foot seems to compensate for  problems higher up and  to grow what it needs for that compensation."
     Having a tb for 10 years, who got a knee injury , then  trying to  learn to trim him with a BF trimmer, I have  watched his growth pattern change to compensate for the injury and arthritis and  loss of rotation in  his knee (by my vet orthopeadist and x-rays). As his ability to  use that knee and favor it changed so did the  type of growth on his foot.At first the BF  tried to get his heels down (as  most BF would do following a wild horse model-- but he was too sore by my obsevation, so they felt he needed a bit of heel, too many years of racing, eventing, jumping. so we aim for comfort.You try to   work to find what is comfortable for the horse.
     There have been some horses who had "navicular syndrome", and  the owners tried the traditional treatments and it was time to  give up by everyones' accounts-- but then they  tried the newer  trim techniques and  many have become sound again.
      There are  stories and pictures of  "club feet" also and with  the certain trims and living arrangements  have gone away. But  trying to make them  look the same usually creates  some form of lamness.
      Tied up with this , just to make it  more complicated ,it that movement or lack of  and feeding  contributes to many of these problems. Often a change of feed-- and  turnout make all the difference along with proper trimming.
      I have another horse who is now 5 and he was born with some  deviation  up  in his shoulder so that his  legs turn out a bit. His feet are different in front and always have been a different shape . One is  rounder and the other is a bit longer and  a bit more forward. He has a good hard  hoof and functions well.. He has always been on full turnout since birth, and his movement is balanced.
       My mare has  one front foot that is rounder and  a bit bigger than the other. It has always been this way.
     My main trail horse has more upright conformation and when in training he puts on  more hoof as needed, when not in training his growth slows.After conditioning him  for a couple years he started to put on more growth slightly to  the inside, seems to  be toeing in a bit due to  ? who knows  muscular  development based on his comformation and way of going.
     I just  notice these tiny changes as now I  measure growth and have a  little meter to check angles by degrees,  I then  write in a notebook my observations and keep track of what is going on. I also  am in charge of  their feed and turnout and  training -- for lack of a better term --- it is more "wholistic"and I notice these tiny changes.
     I think  perhaps  farriers, trimmers, vets, barn managers  researchers even ,just  get a part of the picture. How many follow the same horse, or herd of horses their entire lives and  notice the changes?
       There is alot of  infomation coming  on now that  more quesions are being asked  and new things being tried.
       It seems that the horse grows the  shape/type of foot it needs for balance and survivability. But it can get out of wack by  too much of the wrong feed and not enough consistant movement.