[RC] Arabian Generalizations/Stumbling - sherman

I think my cutting horse trainer (nearly a lifetime ago) taught me to put extra weight in my stirrups. It really helps when riding questionable horses which I did lots of… horses that weren’t trained yet, or supposedly trained but would still do a 180 turn and start running, or come to a sudden stop if they thought something was in the bushes. If you have more weight on your rear end when this happens, you usually get left behind or go over the front.

A funny incident happened last spring on the trail between Sterling Pt and Rattlesnake Bar and the rider behind told me about how it looked. Sonny was trotting fast, we hit a slick spot on a turn, a legs all slid out to one side, I stayed up perfectly balanced in the saddle, both my feet just a few inches from the ground, then Sonny righted himself underneath me and kept on trotting. If I’d had too much weight in my rear end, I’d have caused him to go down.

Yep, rider balance is very important to help the horse keep their balance.

Kathy

Ranelle wrote:

Worked on being more centered on my horse with less of my weight on his front end, and more weight in my stirrups.