Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] Club Foot - Genevieve

Can anyone here give the registered name and breeding of every Arabian they've ever ridden in their lifetime?

Considering nearly every Arab I've been on belonged to someone else I know I sure can't. The only one I know off the top of my head is my own horse and I know that he came from a huge breeding facility for Arabian racehorses. He was a sweetheart but he just wasn't suited to my needs. But also note that I kept him barefooted and trimmed regularly so shoeing wasn't an issue.

I understand that nearly everyone on this mailing list is an Arabian owner because of the high percentage of the breed used in the sport of endurance racing and that I'm sort of a minority here as far as my opinion goes, but that still doesn't mean that my opinion is wrong. I'm entitled to it and I don't enjoy being torn down for it.

If someone were to say that mustangs are ugly I'd have to argue with them and show them pictures of my mustang who just happens to be a Friesian look-alike. Still, I would also recognize the fact that my horse is probably the minority as most mustangs were bred by nature for survival and strength and speed and not for looks. Most wild mustangs are not very pleasing to the eye, even after they've been cleaned up.

It's a shaky analogy at best but it's probably true that a good majority of Arabians out there weren't bred very well and that they've all developed various leg and foot problems because of it. That would mean that the well-bred Arabs are the minority. All of you are used to the well-bred ones because I'm sure you're all great breeders and/or know what to look for when purchasing an Arab. Maybe some day I'll find an Arab that I feel comfortable on and does suit my needs. I'm sure he exists, I just tend to avoid Arabs because most of them just aren't what I look for in a horse.