[RC] Club Foot/more on arabs - heidi larson

--- Genevieve <callmedot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can anyone here give the registered name and breeding of
every Arabian
they've ever ridden in their lifetime?

yep - Mighte El Donte, (CMK/Polish) NV Classy Bey,
(Polish/CMK?) Kalasha+, (55% Polish/33% Russian & 17%
CMK+/-) Asil Kontiki (75% CMK)

I understand that nearly everyone on this mailing list is
an Arabian owner

I would say high percentage, but not nearly everyone.
Heck, just in my small endurance circle here in the Pacific
Northwest, we have MANY gaited horses, mustangs, a few
QH/QH crosses, morgans, mixed breeds, half arabs,
icelandics, fjords, welsh crosses and more if I sat down to
think of them all!  Last years high mileage horse (PNER)is
a pinto/morgan/arab mixture. I used to have an appaloosa
mare, my stepdaugher had an appaloosa gelding (3S-Dee Bar
Dandy) and my other horse was an arab/saddlebred, first
ever horse a QH. I personally just like the arab spirit,
sensitivity and personality (along with athletisism.)

If someone were to say that mustangs are ugly I'd have to
argue with them
and show them pictures of my mustang who just happens to
be a Friesian
look-alike. Still, I would also recognize the fact that
my horse is probably
the minority as most mustangs were bred by nature for
survival and strength
and speed and not for looks. Most wild mustangs are not
very pleasing to the
eye, even after they've been cleaned up.

Hmmmmmmmmm........I know quite a few that look pretty darn
nice, I even had a half arab/half kiger mustang colt that I
bred myself (Kiger Sundance x Polish/CMK mare) and quite a
few, with some muscling, good food and a job look very
nice!  And, pretty is as pretty does, more importantly,
does he have nice legs/feet/bone/brain?  Good looks are
just icing on the cake.

It's a shaky analogy at best but it's probably true that
a good majority of
Arabians out there weren't bred very well and that
they've all developed
various leg and foot problems because of it. That would
mean that the
well-bred Arabs are the minority.

Not necessarily, certain diciplines tend to produce certain
types that are not bred for function (similar to HYPP
QH/Paints) QH w/tiny feet, TB with shelly/crumbly feet,
etc.  Seems to be a trend with anything halter it seems!
My QH/Western farrier says that arabs tend to have the best
feet of any horses he shoes. He's been shoeing for over 30
years.  He will likely never own an arab, but he recognizes
their good qualities and appreciates them.

All of you are used to
the well-bred ones
because I'm sure you're all great breeders and/or know
what to look for when
purchasing an Arab.

Not really, but if we've done any type of endurance, we do
know what NOT to look for.  I just got back from looking at
a horse (non-reg. purebred russian arab) who was lovely and
looked very athletic (has a small respect problem, but kids
have been handling him and he's been taking advantage for
so long, he thinks he can - but he was smart enough in the
small amt. of time we were there to figure out we weren't
going to let him get away with it.) I think he has good
potential for a nice endurance horse if brought along well
and the lady looking will do a nice job.

Maybe some day I'll find an Arab that
I feel comfortable
on and does suit my needs. I'm sure he exists, I just
tend to avoid Arabs
because most of them just aren't what I look for in a
horse.

You might find one, but it doesn't sound like you'll be
looking when he comes along, so it's likely you'll skip
right by him without knowing.  Appreciation comes from
being around good horses, people, pets, kids, and
recognizing their good qualities and potential. There are
certainly no rules that forbid you from getting a horse
that you are comfortable with, it sounds like your mustang
is lovely and that you love him, that's wonderful!  You may
have to adjust your training and riding protocol to match
his Friesian type build, but that in itself could be a fun
challenge for endurance.

heidi and Kalasha+

ps - a good rule of thumb when posting on any
forums/message boards, re-read posts and take out anything
that sounds like sarcasm, it only causes ruffled feathers
and hurt feelings. If you're trying to be funny, put a
happy face or a <G> after your remarks.  Reading between
the lines is an internet "skill" that can easily get out of
control. And remember if others post what might sound mean
or sarcastic, don't necessarily jump to the bait, they
might just not have followed the rule themselves.  It gets
ugly and not all of us have flame retardent suits! :)

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.