Re: [RC] Conserving paper - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

I will try to make this somewhat endurance related by simply saying I believe
in doing the things that *help* the environment. I am an environmentalist.
However, I do not want to get caught in the trap of doing things whether it has
to do with cows, horses on trails, or buying light bulbs that use less energy
only to produce mercury waste we don't have a place to treat. So...I'll answer
the following with just one more rebuttal from a fun book of rebuttals that PJ
O'Roark collected:

David LeBlanc said: What a paper plant emits into the air and water is not so
nice, though we do a better job of cleaning this up than in the past. Ink is
quite another
story, and it can be full of a number of fairly awful things.I think we're
doing more to conserve landfill space by recycling paper than
anything else.

"...a National Wildlife Federation study shows that recycling one hundred tons
of newspaper produces forty tons of toxic sludge. Thirteen of the 50 worst
Superfund hazardous waste dumps were once recycling facilities" (also Taylor of
the Cato Institute)

I've heard a lot on the news lately about old computers & cell phones being a
problem to dispose of...quite hazardous. I have a feeling someday we'll wonder
why we didn't stick to paper. :-P  Of course, our discussion would have taken
us a few weeks instead of hours then, and nobody else would have been in on it.
Makes it a lot harder to argue when you go that slow...requires too much effort
and no audience.

I remember when a letter to the editor in EN would cause an incredibly slow
motion discussion with one rebuttal per month...like a ping pong game in SUPER
slow motion. >g<

Angie (P.S. I drive a Honda car, always been a miser on fuel even when it was
under $2 but I hate pine trees. They sprout like weeds around here, then fall
on the trails (cut 5 yesterday) and I don't mourn them much.