RE: [RC] Conserving paper - David LeBlanc

Angie said:

"...a National Wildlife Federation study shows that recycling one hundred
tons of newspaper produces forty tons of toxic sludge. Thirteen of the 50
worst Superfund hazardous waste dumps were once recycling facilities" (also
Taylor of the Cato Institute)

So we're getting 60 tons of something useful when we would have had 100 tons
of toxic (remember what I said about the ink?) landfill waste. Seems like we
ought to be able to do better than that, but I see an improvement by 60
tons. What this also leaves out completely is how much waste you get out of
creating that 100 tons of paper in the first place, and that creates quite a
lot of sludge, dioxin, and so on. I don't have the data, but I'd expect it's
as much or more than the recycling.

The water treatment effects of paper creation is mostly what makes the paper
vs. plastic grocery bag debate come out pretty close to a draw.

Many of the really, really bad superfund sites were around recycling
lead-acid batteries. My father told me about a dead _swamp_ he visited in
Florida that had this problem. Lead and sulfuric acid are nasty things.

My last bout of grad school was environmental engineering - people who do
that don't tend to be the Greenpeace tree-hugger sorts, but we do get taught
how to properly treat emissions from places like paper mills, as that's
often where the jobs are.

Figuring out how to deal with all of the waste we emit is a big problem, and
just about anything you can name that we use is a disposal problem.