[RC] [RC] Poultice/ice - Patti

Apparently I'm not the only one who was told to use saran wrap... I'm
pretty sure that's the same as the 'cellophane' that D'arcy uses.  But
don't worry, I was already convinced just from that one experience
that I'm never going to do it again!

I was taught "plastic wrap" or something that's occlusive (including coated papers) if you want to produce heat, and brown paper (permeable/breathable) or nothing for cooling. Also, that some poultices/braces are "heating" and some are "cooling", some that are "cooling" can become extremely heating when used under plastic or even just polo wraps. Some clays are "neutral" but need to read labels. If it doesn't come with a label, try it on yourself first - if you're not willing to do that, then don't use it on your horse.

My favorite cooling wraps (after spending lots of money over the years on different types of ice or cooling boots) is an inexpensive pair of neoprene boots (under $10) used to hold on a dishtowel (just the right size) that's been dipped or soaked in ice water in the cooler. Works great in AZ where hose water can be too hot to even bathe with.

Patti K
Vail AZ