[RC] LQ HOT chassis and Dead Battery - Roger Rittenhouse

OK, it HOT here and raining too much to ride and its July.
So I will tackle this issues.
I have had BOTH the problems.
HOT CHASSIS.
Most all wiring done in the LQ trailers will attach the GREEN ground wire of the 3 wire power cable to the CHASSIS, this is correct it is suppose to be the dead earth ground.

Next they ALSO connect the NEUTRAL WHITE wire to the chassis. This is the cold or negative or return side of the power circuit.
The other wire is the BLACK HOT line to the breakers.

The trailer is NOT actually at ground potential since it is on RUBBER tires and NOT on the ground-earth. It 'floats' above ground.

Depending on the outlet you plug the trailer to, the actual ground circuit may be quit long. Most outlets boxes do not have the GREEN ground wire connected to an earth ground post at the outlet box.

The distance of the power cable run (length) back to the power panel is quite LONG at most camp grounds and most home trailer outlet connections.. It is where the WHITE and GREEN wires are also connected to the same buss and then to an actual earth ground post at the main power panel.

The problem occurs when there is a slight voltage potential -called Eddy Currents, between the trailer shell- metal and the actual earth.

The longer the run the higher this voltage condition. This is due to the actual earth is true ground while the green and white wire tied together are NOT really true ground. The long run will cause inductive currents in the so called return lines (white and green) Its a long run from the trailer to the site power panel back to the earth ground rod.

Thus there is voltage potential difference between the trailer skin and dirt-ground. It can be as high 50 to 60 vols AC.. ZAP.
You offer a better shorter connection to ground when you touch it and drain off this induced voltage.

One way to prove this condition is to plug into a GFI outlet GROUND FAULT. My trailer and others will pop the GFI breaker. Ground Fault Indicator. Yep there is one - the floating ground and white wire are connected in the trailer.

That may not be all clear. Not too many EE terms - which I am NOT one by degree.. :)

The fix.
DISCONNECT FROM THE POWER OUTLET or you will be ZAPPED a good one.

Open the breaker box in the trailer.
Disconnect the WHITE neutral return wire from the power panel buss plate in the trailer.
Then remove all the WHITE wires from the ground plate buss. There is one white wire for each breaker.
When all the WHITE wires are disconnected. Go around and UNPLUG anything that is plugged in to an outlet. Including the power converter box.

Take an OHM meter and connect one lead to the chassis-green wire and touch to each of the WHITE wires one at a time -- THERE SHOULD BE NO CONTINUITY from a white wire to the chassis.

Now we know there is no way for WHITE wire connection to the chassis. NO eddy current leakage.

There are some power boxes that have insulated WHITE buss plates - that is they ,are not attached to the metal frame but have a plastic insulator under then. If your trailer has this - I bet you dont get shocked, as long as the GREEN wire is not connected to the white

Or you can make one by removing the one that is in the power box and mount it with plastic shims and screws. Then all the WHITE leads are connected back to the buss and none connected to the frame.

OR you can use wire nuts and just connect all the WHITE wires together. I did that to mine as I only had 3 wire - two breakers with the incoming power cable. Some LQ have 3 or 4 breakers. Whatever method you use, you have to connect ALL the white wires together and to the WHITE wire in the main power cable- with no connection to the chassis.

Now test again - no connection between the white wires and the chassis. The return line is now floating. The GREEN wire is still going to the chassis. This also includes all the green wires from the circuits in the box
Since the GREEN wire is NOT part of the actual electric circuit there is no current on that wire- the chassis eventually will be connected back to the green earth ground at the main power panel. A long run but its the real ground.

OPTION 2
If you dont want to do all that, then take a battery jumper cable and connect to the trailer metal and drive a ground rod in the ground about a foot or so and connect to that. The leakage in the system will be shunted to actual ground and you wont get zapped.
However if the power source uses GFI they will pop for sure.

I have done the above ground the chassis for years. The horses tied to the trailer will get zapped if they touch it. Not good.

When you use a generator this does not occur since ALL the power lines - white green and black are inside the trailer and there is no connection to the earth. Most generators will float the white wire and not connect it to the green ground wire.

I am sure a 'real' EE can describe this better.

The problem can be resolved.
1 Re-wire the breaker box to float the WHITE neutral wires
2 Physically ground the chassis to a metal post in the ground.

--
Roger R