Re: [RC] [RC] Poultice/ice - FXLivestock

I have to agree with Lynne here.  If I want to do a leg treatment after a work out it is not going to be something that induces heat.   Any type of cellophane/plastic is going be a sweat and certainly would inhibit the evaporation/drawing properties of using clay.  I suppose clay could be used in a sweat in the same way one uses furacin, Bute/Cort, or any other substance to create a sweat.

I feel ice and cold water therapy is the best after a hard/long workout.  I think it really reduces/eliminates any inflamation and swelling that may occur.  I try to use some type of cold therapy after every long ride or hard work out.  To me, this is just preventative measures to try to keep the legs tight.  I try to do the cold treatment twice and In between treatments I also like to rub the legs and tendons down. This gives me an idea on what is going on in the legs and a base point I find something new the next time I ride.  I don't wrap often because I do want to see any residual stress.

I use heat and sweats for injuries after 3 or 4 days or to "sweat out" any filling that may be more than a few days old.  If filling is there that long it usually means injury or too much stress from the work out.  I then back off of training, get the filling out, and make sure I include more rest for recovery.

I got very lucky a few months back and bought a used Game Ready at an incredibly low price.  This is a luxury I never thought I would be able to afford.  I not only use it on the horses but on myself.  I cannot believe how much faster my recovery was using this.  Fewer drugs and recovery days for me :)

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648