From: Jacobsjazz@xxxxxxx
Sent: Jul 10, 2008 10:47 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   old horses

I have a 27 year old standardbred.  He started to have trouble with
arthritis in his left hock last year.  This year he is really off, however  he
lets me
know he wants to be used.   Maybe only to the mail box or  to the lower field
for fresh grass.  His heart is willing, but his body  isn't able.  It is good
for their minds to be used.  When I was  feeling proud of myself and my young
paint for coming back from our first trail  ride, the standardbred came up to
the fence and looked at me as if to say "Why  didn't you take me".  I love
the older horses.  They are worth their  weight in gold.  Let the horse tell
you
what they can do or can't do.

Belinda