Re: [RC] OLD HORSES - SandyDSA

In a message dated 7/10/2008 8:04:25 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Normanjudyv@xxxxxxx writes:
Did anyone ask the horse????
uh yeah - I did - she finished her last 25 miler at 26 years old, and then told me in her wise old way that now she wanted to settle back into a genteel twilight. I said, okay - and then proceeded to compete the Jackhammer as I enjoyed my mornings, evenings and spring afternoons on my sweet old girl. We celebrated 25 birthdays of hers, hats, carrot cake and all. Yes, she DID tell me when she had enough. Did she ever WIN anything in endurance? No, and she did not care. She always wanted to go out and just see - the next hill, the other horses, the finish line....
    Then the first ride I took the Jackhammer to - as we pulled out, my old girl called pitifully - once. The next ride she just munched and watched, and every ride after that.
    The POINT was that, like many people, some horses would die a lot sooner and much sadder if they were summarily retired simply because they reached a certain age. She was sound, healthy, albeit a bit stiff in the AMs - until the morning of her demise....and she never missed a beat - or a good day. That was the point.

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com