[RC] old horses - Jacobsjazz

I have a 27 year old standardbred.  He started to have trouble with arthritis in his left hock last year.  This year he is really off, however he lets me know he wants to be used.   Maybe only to the mail box or to the lower field for fresh grass.  His heart is willing, but his body isn't able.  It is good for their minds to be used.  When I was feeling proud of myself and my young paint for coming back from our first trail ride, the standardbred came up to the fence and looked at me as if to say "Why didn't you take me".  I love the older horses.  They are worth their weight in gold.  Let the horse tell you what they can do or can't do.

Belinda