[RC] LD - Bruce Weary

I see the LD rides growing all the time, usually with more entries than the 50's or 100's. And that's great. They must be enjoying something about it I know I do, when I ride one. And, with the addiction that endurance riding is, I don't foresee a drastic drop in their numbers, as a political statement of dissatisfaction, happening anytime soon. And that is data that is easily tracked. As the numbers stay strong and even grow, I guess that people will have to concede, even Truman, that riders are already clearly "voting with their feet." In other words, there seems to be a general and growing approval of LD, not a general disapproval, despite anecdotal comments offered here.
The sky is not falling in LD, in fact the sky seems to be opening up. The debate seems to be whether the sheer numbers of participants at any given level should be leveraged into a "majority voting mechanism" whereby the contestants can make changes in the sport itself to match their tastes. Like basketball players voting to lower the rim a foot, or marathoners voting to shorten a marathon to, say, 20 miles, 3-day eventers asking for shorter jumps, or footballers asking for a 90 yard field. I think this is an issue in and of itself, and is the elephant in the living room that is not being directly addressed.
What are people's thoughts on whether the rules and regs of a sport should be vulnerable to change at the whims of the contestants themselves? I'll be interested in the answers, because if I can get the NBA to lower that rim a foot, I'm gonna try out for the Lakers. They could use another good power forward. :> Bruce Weary