RE: [RC] LD - Chastain, Shannon L.

I am currently an LD rider. And to be honest if a ride I was looking at
going to; charge me the same as for the 50 and would not offer placing
and BC and would not put my actual time I rode in the AERC database I
would not go unless the ride was being held in my backyard. Because I
can do a training ride in my backyard.  And I have never finished better
them the slow side of mid pack. Guess I am lucky to ride in the Central
where I get to compete and do LD.  I am a firm believer that if a person
does not care about putting their horses welfare first you are not going
to force them too by not allowing BC or recording their actual ride
time.  They are in it for bragging rights of some kind and will still
brag that they were first, even if they killed their horse doing it. I
like Truman would like to see an analysis of some kind to prove that not
offering BC and Placings does help the horse. I sure have not seen LD'er
at the rides I have been at killing horses to finish first. Have seen a
few 50 milers come close. Actually some of them usually beat me into
camp for the final check:-)) Everyone just may have to watch out for me
and Charlie this year though, I think I have finally found a saddle that
fits and we just may become more competitive, we might even get in that
first 50 completion.

Shannon
Rock Port MO