    *From:* Cindy Stafford <mailto:cjstaf@xxxxxxx>
    *To:* ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    *Sent:* Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:11 AM
    *Subject:* [RC] effects of being toed-in for endurance

    Hi all - was hoping to learn from your experience again. Am still
    shopping for my next endurance horse and have come across one that
    is slightly toed in in front. not just the hoof itself, but the
    pastern as well a little. I'm wondering what might be the long
    term effects of this on teh horse over many miles? Any of you have
    a horse with this issue and are still competing with no probs? If
    you're a vet, can you tell me if this is a minor thing or a major?
    I do plan on getting a pre-purchase vet exam, but didn't think
    that would give me a long term view of things, plus the horse has
    only been a year under saddle and lightly ridden.

    I do know of a couple of horses that have competed well and are a
    bit toed in, but don't have oodles of miles behind them, so am not
    sure what it does long term.

    My current horse has a conformation problem that has contributed
    to arthritis in her joints, so that's why i'm being extra cautious
    - i'm a bit gun shy.

    thanks!
    cindy

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil