[RC] added weight during trainign - Donna DeYoung

Does anyone use added weight (such as weights/extra water in an extra saddle bag) while training to increase your horse's workload? What would be the advantanges, disadvantages? Would you do progressive loading, adding weight gradually, and when would you remove the extra weight prior to a competition? I understand don't add speed/distance at the same time. So I suppose you would add weight and not speed/distance at the same time either until you built up to it...

thanks,
Donna DeYoung