Re: [RC] effects of being toed-in for endurance - Barbara McCrary

One of my husband's horses toed in on the right front and eventually, after about 3,000 miles, or maybe a little less, he would turn up off on that foot fairly routinely.  Toeing in would put considerable strain on the pastern, I should think.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but if I were looking for a lasting endurance horse, I would try to find one with straighter legs and feet.  JMO.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:11 AM
Subject: [RC] effects of being toed-in for endurance

Hi all - was hoping to learn from your experience again.  Am still shopping for my next endurance horse and have come across one that is slightly toed in in front.  not just the hoof itself, but the pastern as well a little.  I'm wondering what might be the long term effects of this on teh horse over many miles?  Any of you have a horse with this issue and are still competing with no probs?  If you're a vet, can you tell me if this is a minor thing or a major?  I do plan on getting a pre-purchase vet exam, but didn't think that would give me a long term view of things, plus the horse has only been a year under saddle and lightly ridden.

I do know of a couple of horses that have competed well and are a bit toed in, but don't have oodles of miles behind them, so am not sure what it does long term.

My current horse has a conformation problem that has contributed to arthritis in her joints, so that's why i'm being extra cautious - i'm a bit gun shy.

thanks!
cindy