On 6/30/08, k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I think it has something to do with being adrenalin junkies.

>> Dawn Carrie wrote:
<<I have also never felt like stopping in the middle of a 100. I have no
idea why other than "A miracle occurs when you enter". Just trust me.
:-)>>

>> Angie is right. I'm on a high when I'm doing a 100.
>> It's a special feeling...

Being a died in the wool adrenaline junkie myself, I can tell you,
uneqivocably that the "high" that comes from doing a one day 100 has
nothing to do with adrenaline. Actually, virtually nothing about
endurance riding has much of anything to do with adrenaline.

Adrenaline rushes can only be maintained for very short periods of time,
there would be no way to get through a one day 100 on adrenaline.

The high that come from the one day 100 probably has more to do with
endorphines (similar to the "runners high" that marathoners experience).

Horse sports for adrenaline junkies are things like steeple chasing and
polo.  You can trust me on this...

...while I totally agree that there is nothing that compares with
completing a one day 100 for pure satisfaction, there is also nothing
that compares with steeplechasing for pure thrill.

I actually haven't found very many adrenaline junkies among the ranks of
endurance riders.

The one day 100 isn't about adrenaline at all.  It is, in fact, keeping
adrenaline under control or keeping going after the adrenaline has run
out that makes for successful 100 mile horses and/or riders.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)