Re: [RC] FW: Fireworks as a begginer ride - SandyDSA

How about a grip, folks. Not EVERY newbie at a ride - let alone this PARTICULAR ride - is a rear-ender,a body slammer, or a water hog. Funny - some of the worst offenders I have personally encountered were not new - they were moderately experienced but had not LEARNED the niceties of common courtesy or the judicious safety behaviors needed. Now that I think of it, this is just a reflection of generally poor manners and selfish behavior seen too often these days, not just on a horse. Being a beginner is no crime - in fact, some support for those who DO manage themselves well should be a mental prerequisite for everyone else. So let's not let the experienced riders off the hook if we want to hammer someone - how about all those who think they know it all now so can feel free to let Ibn Speed Racer barge into another' mount or shove Bint Bunny away from a water trough? Shall we teach? Shall we scream? how about let's just do. Mentoring is a good way - but starting with our own circle of fam and friends who need a start is good. I am sure glad that the people who started me years ago did not cop and attitude simply because I was new to the sport. It was quite a transition - but one made easier by the helpful ones who did not mind advising when asked - and sometimes when not - kindly - oh and BTW, being NEW to distance does not mean new to HORSES, just as being experienced with distance riding does not make one experienced with horses. Some of the best riders in this sport might be in their first season - but have decades of experience with equine sports and horses in general. In the end, it doesn't matter to me how many rides a person has completed - if they run me over, bump my horse or race past without manners.

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com