Re: [RC] [RC] [AERCMembersForum] Analysis of Fatalities Rates - Barb Kemerer

I know we have to go with the statistics that are available and I believe Truman used the day of and day after the ride. What about those people who finish the ride (25 and 50s) and throw their horse on the trailer and go home. It seems like this is becoming more prevalent at least in the Northeast.
Barb Kemerer

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Eric Rueter <Eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Truman,

    I by no means am a statistician, nor a mathematician, nor a physicist -- or even a good speller.  But I would like to know if this makes a difference.  When you are looking at the death rates from the comparison study, are they not based on individual horses only counted once in a given time frame, and when you are looking at AERC stats you may be counting the same horse multiple times, across multiple years?  Does that really make a good comparison?  If not which way would it skew the results?

thanx eric
Eric Rueter
Rueter Consulting, Inc.
Eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
865.988.4134(W)
865.599.3594(C)
865.986.5966(H)
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 7:51 AM
Subject: [AERCMembersForum] Analysis of Fatalities Rates

This paper documents an analysis of the fatality rate of deaths
associated with AERC rides. The fatalities for the years of 2003 through
2007 are
considered. The reason to look at this question now is with in excess of
110,000 starts in
this five year period, the sample size is sufficient to statistically
differentiate small
proportions with a reasonable confidence. The data
are analyzed with the AERC fatalities broken into four categories. The
first is all the
fatalities. The second is the fatalities in the one day 100 mile events.
The third is the
fatalities in the "fifty" mile events (all rides except one day 100 and
LD rides). The final
category is LD. The question of do horses die at a higher proportion as
a result of colic in
endurance that in the general population is also addressed.

Enjoy.

http://www.seraonline.org/pdf/death%20rate%20analysis.pdf

Truman

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Attention, Yahoo! Groups users! Sign up now for a one-month free trial from Blockbuster. Limited time offer.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Health Zone

Look your best!