Re: [RC] More of the Big Brown Story - Truman Prevatt

Cris Potmesil wrote:
It wasn't Big Brown's day or race to win. Watching the past footage of Secretariat's Triple Crown Races shows what it takes to win these races. I don't think we'll see the likes of him ever again and that's okay. Some things are once in a lifetime.
I remember that day well. We had a Belmont party at my apartment. I was in grad school at the time - we used any excuse to party ;-) . There was a lot of "bad press" about Secretariat - especially in the NY press. "The horse can't go a mile and 1/2 with his breeding" it said. "The jockey is not that good and can't bring him home" it said. Well Ron Turcotte didn't have to worry. Big Red blew out of the gait acceleration around the track. When he rounded to turn into the stretch, Turcotte needed binoculars to see the rest of the horses. Wire to wire 38 lengths ahead of the rest of the pack and he was opening up ground as he went - and it was a pretty good pack - and he smashed the record and set a Belmont record that may never be broken. Big Red still owns the Derby record and my forever own the Belmont record. We just sit there in awe at what we just saw.

As Chick Anderson said after the race, Secretariat must have been reading the NY papers and didn't like what he read. Face it Big Brown is good - but he ain't no Big Red.
My personal gripe is that I don't think horses that have not run both the KY Derby and the Preakness should be allowed to enter the Belmont. What kind of level playing field is it to make horses who have run both races to compete against fresh horses who have not? I've never understood why that is allowed.
Nope bring them all on. You want to be the called best of the best you got to earn it.

Truman

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell