Re: [RC] More of the Big Brown Story - Cris Potmesil

Couldn't agree with you more. Most of the owners and trainers with any class have usually accepted blame and responsibility on themselves. Takes a pretty low quality person to accuse the rider when ~everyone~ else is applauding him for doing the proper and right thing to spare the horse.

The electrolyte thing seems odd and backwards. Maybe it was misquoted in the papers. Who knows? Can we even believe that the trainer did or did not give the May steroid injection? I have no problem believing he's saying what the media wants to hear in that regard.

It wasn't Big Brown's day or race to win. Watching the past footage of Secretariat's Triple Crown Races shows what it takes to win these races. I don't think we'll see the likes of him ever again and that's okay. Some things are once in a lifetime.

My personal gripe is that I don't think horses that have not run both the KY Derby and the Preakness should be allowed to enter the Belmont. What kind of level playing field is it to make horses who have run both races to compete against fresh horses who have not? I've never understood why that is allowed.

Cris P.
Flat Rock, IL

As far as I can see of all the sorry humans associated with this
wonderful horse, Kent D. is the only one with any class. He knew
something was wrong. In every other race when he got up and asked for
speed, BB blew on the after burner. On that day BB didn't have an after
burner. Why - who knows but Kent D. knew that a) he was not going to
catch anyone and if there was something wrong - nothing good would
happen driving BB on.

Truman