RE: [RC] Gelding Stallions (was: Wild Horses) - Ranelle Rubin

Kat,

Well said.

The over-population
> of domestic horses is a function of the number of mares being bred, not
> the number of stallions. "Irresponsible" breeding can be laid almost
> entirely at the feet of mare owners. The number of stallions available
> is virtually irrelevant.

Makes me crazy when folks think just because they have a registered mare they should breed her. I rescued a mare who I would no more breed than have a child of my own at 49! She was straight in the shoulder, narrow based, extreme high-low, and had terrible feet, not to mention, uncomfortable as hell to ride. She is now owned by someone who loves her alot, but promised me she would never breed her.

Conversely, the lady who I got the mare from originally (the rescue was not abuse-related..but temperament/training related) now has a VERY nice Wiking dtr who could easily CONTRIBUTE to the gene pool of our beloved Arabians. She has near perfect conformation, wonderful feet, and a great temperament-Go Mare is her nickname!

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx